A compendium of twelve of the greatest effects in magic, Classic Secrets of Magic by Bruce Elliott was first published by Harper & Bros in 1952(?).
Classic Secrets includes variations on the featured effects from Dai Vernon, Jay Marshal, Lee Noble, Walter Gibson, Joe Berg, Cy Enfield, Charlie Miller and Roy Benson, resulting in over 30 effects.
Preface: Introduction to the book by Bruce Elliot, September 1952
- Chapter 1: The Spectator's Card is Produced!
Several ways of revealing a selected card
- Chapter 2: Corncobs
Multiplying smoking pipes
- Chapter 3: Water Water Everywhere
Standard, Brahmin, Al Baker; Jardine Ellis Wineglass production
- Chapter 4: The Very Peripatetic Paddle
The paddle move with knives, matchsticks, business cards and dice
- Chapter 5: Those Four Aces
Many variations and modifications
- Chapter 6: Miser's Dream Come True
Wally Dean's method
- Chapter 7: The Egg Bag, Well Done
Basic routine, twisting the bag, stomping the bag, and other ideas
- Chapter 8: The Two Covers and the Four Objects
Chink A Chink type effects with cards, coins and magazines
- Chapter 9: Billiards, Magic Style
Two thorough multiplying billiard ball routines
- Chapter 10: Razor Sharp
Linking razor blades from the mouth
- Chapter 11: The Ambitious Card
The card that keeps popping to the top of the deck
- Chapter 12: The Eternal Cups & Balls
Simple routine, gimmicked cups, Charlie Miller routine with tea cups, Joe Berg routine, Benson Bowl routine
- In Conclusion: final words
- Appendix: A poll of the "classics" of magic
Similar Works Edit
- Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay
Publishing Information Edit
First published in 1949 by Faber and Faber Limited, 3 Queen Square London, W.C.1.
Subsequently republished in 1952, 1954, 1960, 1965, 1968, 1973, and 1975.
ISBN: 0 571 06389 6